About the Film Season
Since 2009, SCEG has screened sustainability films that have informed and inspired us to change our behaviours and assist with change in our community. Hundreds of people have attended these film nights over the years. The philosophy behind these evenings is to raise issues and encourage local action from the audience with either panel discussions or presentations by experts. As a result of our film season we have seen positive changes in our community. Examples include:
- Kickstarted Plastic Bag Free Torquay Campaign
- Inspired locals to grow food and use local farmers markets
- Educated residents about ways of saving water and energy
The film season has contributed to building SCEG’s reputation as a highly active community group, which is keen to discuss and seek solutions to issues around climate change and sustainability. We also provide an opportunity for individuals within our community to actively contribute to building community resilience.
We would like to thank those that have supported the SCEG film season. A huge thanks go to Zeally Bay Sourdough and Hidden Secret Gourmet who have been very generous over the years providing bread and cheese for our suppers. We thank other organisations who have sponsored and/or contributed to the film seasons in the past, including Torquay Community Enterprise, Surf Coast Shire, Australian Ethical, Poppys B & B, Torquay Books, West Coast Indigenous Nursery, Torquay Mitre 10, Organic Graphic Design, Octavia Chabrier and all our speakers. And of course a big thank you to our volunteers who make the film season happen – we couldn’t do it with you!
We can only run a film season in 2015 if we have a group of people keen to take over running the nights. If that’s you please contact us.
SCEG’s 2014 Film Season
SCEG screened the following movies in 2014
Venue: Surfworld Museum, Beach Road Torquay,
- Friday 2nd May – ‘Connected- A Film for Change’
- Friday 13th June – ‘Project Wild Thing‘
- Friday 11th July – ‘Bringing it Home’
- Friday 1st August – ‘Waste Deep’
- Friday 5th September – ‘Growing Cities’
- Friday 3rd October – ‘The Future of Energy‘
many of these films and those from previous seasons are now available for SCEG members to borrow from our SCEG library.
SCEG’s 2013 Film Season
In 2013 we screened the following movies.
Friday 3 May – Film ‘Bimblebox‘
- Friday 7 June – Film ‘Anima Mundi’
- Friday 5 July – Film ‘Genetic Roulette’
- Friday 2 August – Film ‘Waste Not’
- Friday 6 September Film ‘Build Green’
- Friday 4 October- Film ‘Do the Math’